Feel like you are doing everything right yet not releasing those stubborn last few pounds?
Relax. There may be some simple solutions you can start implementing today. You aren’t broken or weak and there is no need to beat yourself up with that big stick you carry around in your mind for such occasions. Yes, I have one too and it used to be a club, not a stick! However, it is systematically being widdled away and I hope to find it down to toothpick status soon. There’s always Hope!
Release vs Lose
Did you notice I said release weight? There is a huge difference between losing weight and releasing weight and it’s not just semantics, Folks!
When I release weight, it is gone, adios, ta-ta…never to return again. Seriously, I have released it on a physical and emotional level.
Follow me here – often times we hold on to weight as a layer of padding. The padding brings us comfort of some sort; be it sitting on bleachers longer in relative comfort or protecting us emotionally from bumps and bruises. When you give yourself permission to release the extra weight by letting yourself know that you don’t require that form of protection any longer amazing things start happening.
On the flip side, if you lose weight, like when you have some event coming up and really want that dress or pair of sharp pants to actually fit again, the weight leaves temporarily to only find its way back to your lovely body once again. You are nodding your head in agreement, aren’t you? Thought so!
What to be aware of…
First get your mind right and then watch out for these 5 masked marauders of successful weight release.
1. Mind Control Marketing – Yes, it is a form of mind control and we are inundated with it. Be a savvy shopper and don’t buy into the hype. This goes for the so-called health foods too. I know the information is overwhelming and sometimes contradictory when it comes to nutrition, but find a source you trust, like yours truly, and block out the other white noise. This will include not watching commercials on television, but you already know that, right?
2. Artificial Sweeteners – One word. Toxic. Not only are they a chemical cesspool your body has absolutely no use for, these tricksters signal your body that it’s receiving sugar (calories) and when the tricksters don’t deliver your body demands more. Think carb cravings! Artificial sweeteners also stimulate fat storage and we are all about releasing, remember?
3. Antibiotics in Food & Medicine – Yes, antibiotics are necessary sometimes, but remember that antibiotics don’t help viral infections like the common cold or flu. There are holistic helpers available, like essential oils, to speed recovery and treat symptoms. Plus, do you need to ingest antibiotics from your food source ? No. This statistic blew my mind. 80% of all antibiotics used in the U.S. annually are for raising food animals. That works out to nearly 30 million pounds of antibiotics a year! In livestock, antibiotics are used to both ward off disease and to promote weight gain. Yes, you read that correctly!
4. Growth-Enhancing Drugs – While on the subject of livestock it is important to know that growth-enhancing drugs used to fatten up livestock wreak havoc on your health. The common ones are beta-agonists. They work as a growth promoter by increasing protein creation, which makes the animal more muscular. These same beta-agonists are also found in asthma medication and stubborn weight gain is a common side effect with the patients using the medications. So much so that Advair’s manufacturer lists it as a side effect in marketing material now.
5. Endocrine Disruptors & Pesticides – Many of your household chemicals are endocrine disruptors and there are a number found in plastic products as well. These little gems trick your body because they have a strikingly similar chemical structure to natural sex hormones, like estrogen. This can interfere with your natural sex hormones normal function. I’m sure you’ve heard of bisphenol-A (BPA), PCBs, phthalates, triclosan, agriculture pesticides, fire retardants and glyphosate (RoundUp). They are everywhere! Even at below-toxic levels these chemicals have been found to promote weight gain.
What to do, what to do?!?!
I know it’s overwhelming when you look at the evidence stacked against your success, but once you know and understand these things it truly is empowering. No fretting necessary.
Simple changes that you carry out – one at a time – will have a profound effect on your overall health and quest to release those stubborn pounds. I’m in a firm believer in sustainable health and that requires knowledge. That’s what I am here for! To sift through the information and give you bite sized bits to consume. Here’s where you can start.
Lifestyle Choices to Sustainable Health
1. Buy whole organic foods and cook them yourself. How else do you really know what’s in your food? The biggie here is you automatically and dramatically cut how much sugar you consume. It’s a given that sugar is the root cause of insulin resistance and weight gain. Plus, if you buy organic produce you’ll cut the exposure to pesticides and genetically modified ingredients. By ditching the processed foods, and I use that term loosely, you automatically reduce exposure to the artificial sweeteners. Lots of benefit in this one step. Doesn’t need to happen overnight. Every organically grown home cooked meal you eat is one step forward!
2. If you eat animal protein, opt for organic grass-fed and grass-finished meats. Yes, it is more expensive. Some think prohibitively so, but I would rather eat less meat and spend my money on higher quality. This way I know I’m avoiding genetically engineered ingredients, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and other growth promoting drugs. Yuk.
3. Ditch your plastic containers to avoid the endocrine disrupting chemicals. Again, doesn’t have to be all in one felled swoop. Just replace them one at a time. The snap lock glass containers are a perfect choice. I also love using canning jars to store things. Simple and cost-effective!
See? Not so intimidating if you break it down into bite sized bits. My husband and I have been on this journey for several years and I still learn something new every day. This really isn’t about losing weight; it’s about feeling good every single day when my feet hit the floor. And mine do. I want yours to as well! Stay tuned for more simple tips and tricks to help you on your journey toward sustainable life and health!