5 Natural Ways to Diminish Dry Skin
You can’t hide that dry flaky skin behind the winter wardrobe any longer. Summer is here and that means more skin showing and hopefully glowing. Good news is – there are simple solutions hiding in your kitchen to help you say bye-bye to dry, scaly, itchy skin. Ready?
1. First things first. Ditch the lotions with petroleum based or mineral oils. Seriously, in the trash with any personal care product with carcinogenic potential. Our skin is our largest organ and needs to be treated with TLC.
2. Exfoliate regularly. You should include dry brushing into your normal daily hygiene routine. In addition, find a wonderful sugar or salt based body scrub enriched with moisturizing oils and fabulous essential oils that leave you feeling smooth and silky. Here’s a tip: It is a near orgasmic experience to feel your skin after using a body scrub to shave!
3. Turn down the heat. I know hot showers feel good on tired aching muscles, but it is best to take cooler showers if you are battling dry skin. Cold water helps “close” pores. This keeps your skin looking smooth and healthy while not drying your skin out as hot water showers can do. The cold water helps keep your hair shiny and your skin soft, rather than itchy, ashy and dried out. Here’s a tip: Always end your shower with cold water. There are countless studies which show that cold exposure improves immunity!
4. Consider coconut oil. It is versatile. I cook with it and use it on my skin and hair! Coconut oil is said to help exfoliate the outer layer of dead skin cells, making your skin smoother. Here’s a tip: if you have someone opposed to slathering their dry, flaky skin due to the girlish nature of lotion (aka: The Mr.) fill a jar with coconut oil and they will use it! And if the skin is itchy, add a few drops of lavender essential oil. Works wonders! Speaking from experience here.
5. Feed your skin from the inside out. Make sure you are getting enough omega-3 fats from a quality source. Due to their anti-inflammatory properties, omega-3s help calm irritated skin as well as aiding in the prevention of cellular dehydration. Speaking of cellular hydration, make sure you are drinking enough clean filtered water every day and eating lots of organic fresh vegetables.
Start implementing these loving changes and I can guarantee your skin will love you right back! Do you have any tips to share with us?
Great tips!! I can’t wait to try them out for my fourth of July beach getaway!
You will be amazed! Especially the trick for shaving with the sugar scrub. Yowza!